Pages

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Upward Bound American History Test

I recently finished working as a History teacher for the Upward Bound Pre-college program at Weber State University. Part of my job was to test the students' knowledge on American history and government institutions. My partner and I created a test which we thought would be fairly challenging, but not too difficult to pass. Most of the questions make up what should be general knowledge of American history and institutions and are not overly detailed.

The pre-test results weren't particularly great. Granted, these students are 9th-12th grade and have had very different experiences with history at their respective schools, so overall they did fine.

Pre-test average: 15/35 or about 42%

After the 5 week program, the students did a lot better overall and there were a few significant score increases among the students. In the last few days of the class we had discussions about the Supreme Court and a review day, and their comments were well thought out and insightful, and it appeared that they had learned a lot during the few weeks they were there. And they did: the results were quite a difference:

Post-test average: 23/35 or about 66%

This still isn't spectacular or anything, but considering the short time we spent and that many of these kids haven't had a government-focused course yet, I feel we built a solid foundation for them to expand on when they get back to school in the fall.

In the meantime, however, I would like to know what YOU would get if you took the same test I gave these students. There are 30 open-ended questions and a short 5 point essay at the end, so the test should take you a maximum of 10-15 minutes and probably less. Think you're up for the challenge?

Remember, don't cheat! These students didn't use notes, so you certainly can't use google. Simply answer to the best of your ability and show me what you know!

***UPDATE***  In the original test I failed to have a name/e-mail field so I can get in touch with you.  Sorry about that!  The new test now has a name and e-mail field.  Enjoy!  Also, here are the results for the first 6 nameless forms I received:

1.  27/35, an excellent score!
2.  17/35, pretty close to the average of my students on their pre-tests.
3.  22/35, a decent score, but nothing to write Jefferson about.
4.  20/35, see above.
5.  28/35, another excellent score!
6.  Belinda: 29/35, the high score so far, but not better than my top bounders.
7.  Nick: 29/35, which is especially good considering he didn't do the 5-point essay.
8.  Chad: 32/35, awesome!
9.  Sarah: 31/35, excellente!
10.  Lorrie:  24/35, pretty close to the post-test average for my bounders.
11.  Sarah (another one):  28/35, a solid score.
12.  Wendy:  29/35, well played!
13.  Alexa:  28/35, these averages are quite good!
14.  Zach (but not me):  29/35, very well done good sir!

Keep em' coming!

2 comments:

  1. Yo, this is Jer. Dunno how you're identifying who fills this out and how you're getting their answers to them. Anyway, I hope this only goes to you and not to, say, UB coordinators/people who fund them. Anyway, I failed history. A lot. No surprise by my answers. Just giving you a basis with which to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jer, I fixed it so now I have a name and e-mail! Thanks for pointing out my spectacular blunder :)

    ReplyDelete

Write your comment here, or suffer the consequences.