Pages

Monday, September 5, 2011

The Missing Silhouette

The Missing Silhouette

Walking alone,
I noticed a couple walking
Hand in hand at dusk.
I caught the woman’s eye, and
glanced down, not wanting
to corrupt their moment
with my presence.

A streetlight over my shoulder
projected my shadow on
the pavement, illuminating
the missing silhouette,
casting a reminder of
the shadow I spent my own
loving moments with.

Casting a reminder of you.
You, who made mere summer
nights become poetry in motion.
You, who simultaneously
fill my heart to bursting
and leave me as lonesome
as a dove.

I’m not saddened or angry because
of this reminder, and I don’t
feel used or betrayed.
No, this reminder is a kind much too
heavy, this reminder is the kind
that makes my heart heave
and sigh.

-Zachary Stickney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Write your comment here, or suffer the consequences.