Pages

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Cheers to the Fighters

The following is the single greatest poem I have read in a long time, and the only thing that makes it sweeter is that it was written by the single greatest person I have ever met.  No ado is necessary, as the poem speaks for itself, and single-handedly surpasses anything I could write in response.
 
Natalie, I love you.

Cheers to the Fighters
I burn our candle in hopes to burn time.
The batteries in the old clock will not be replaced
in an attempt to forbid my mind to count
the hours since we parted.
True love takes hard work,
hard work takes pain
I guess that's why divorce turns dreams into dust.
People keep on hoping.
I have tried hope.
It's a nice word, but is meaningless
without commitment, without strength.
Complaints benefit others, but never yourself.
They can keep complaining about love
and we will keep proving them wrong.
Cheers to the fighters
Someday we will retire in paradise.

-Natalie Cole
(http://nataliemarie-nataliescorner.blogspot.com/2012/08/cheers-to-fighters.html)

1 comment:

Write your comment here, or suffer the consequences.